Sassy Chic Photography is an on-location specialist, serving the greater Kansas City area with their portrait needs for Maternity, Babies, Children, Senior/Teens, Couples, and Wedding Photography. www.sassychicphotography.com 816-308-3814
With so many people getting engaged this time of year, I thought it might be helpful to share some tips on how to make the most of your engagement session. Being a list maker at heart, I decided to share 10 useful tips with you:
(1) Choose a location that is meaningful to you. - a place that has significance to you and your fiance is always going to be better than a random park. The place you met, the place he proposed, or your home town square are all great options.
(2) Choose a location that is unique. - if you can’t think of a location with significance, the next best thing is a place that is unique.
(3) Avoid wearing the same colors as your fiance. - we’ve all seen photos of two people, both wearing black shirts that end up looking like a two headed black blob. It’s MUCH more visually appealing if you and your fiance coordinate instead of match. If you’re not sure of the difference, ask your photographer for suggestions. Chances are they can help!
(4) Wear Cute Shoes. - Cute shoes are always a good idea, but especially for engagement photos. Everyone loves a cute “shoe shot” so why not make the most of it and dress your feet accordingly. I’ve also mentioned this because this is a really good excuse to print this out and say “Look honey!! It says I should buy new shoes for our engagement photos! ” You’re welcome
(5) Think about having your e-pics done in a season opposite that of your wedding date. - If you’re getting married in the summer, you might like to have some photos of you and your fiance in the fall or winter. Having photos of the two of you in a variety of seasons will be good for decorating your home.
(6) Dress for the weather. - going right along with reason #5, if you are having e-pics taken in January make the most of it with a cute coat and winter accessories. If you’re having them done in August, skip the long sleeves even if your most favorite shirt is a wool sweater. It’s super important that you are comfortable because if you’re not it will show in the photos.
(7) Consider an activity. - if there is an activity you and your fiance really enjoy doing together, consider incorporating that into your engagement shoot. Do you both love baseball? Have some of the pics done on a baseball diamond. Are you both foodies? E-pics of the two of you whipping up something delicious would be adorable! Much like location, an activity can really help to personalize your photos.
(8) Bring Props. - No I don’t mean bring your couch to the shoot! Going along with #7 if you both love to read, bring some books. If you’re both head-over-heels for your dog, bring it along!
(9) Choose a photographer that you are comfortable being around. - this one is huge. If you don’t feel comfortable with your photographer it will show in your photos. In the current age of blogs, Facebook and Twitter make it a habit of reading your photographer’s blog and friend them on Facebook. This way by the time your engagement shoot rolls around you will feel like old friends!
(10) Be yourself! - this is the most important thing to remember. If you are a fashionista who follows the latest trends, then no matter what anyone says wear your trendy duds. If you live in jeans, then rock your denim in your photos. These photos are about you and your fiance so let that shine through!